Sunday, July 29, 2012

IDEAL BODY FAT FOR MEN AND WOMEN BY AGE

I was doing a little search on the internet to see what the ideal body fat percentage is for men and women.  I had seen before that the low side of Normal for a woman is 25%, so that's what I have been shooting for.  I was using a chart similar to this:


Today, I found this chart, which adjusts body fat by age:


According to this chart, the low side of average (called Healthy on this chart) is not 25%, but somewhere around 30%.  Hmmm...  I always have thought that there was no way I was ever going to make it down to 25% body fat.  Maybe 30% is more realistic for a woman my age.  My age today is 56 and 1/2.

Here is my old dream goal:
132 pounds
11.875" neck
26.125" waist
37.25" hips
0.701 waist-to-hips ratio
25% body fat (33 pounds)
75% lean body mass (99 pounds)

Here is my new dream goal:
136 pounds
11.875" neck
27.625" waist
39.5" hips
0.699 waist-to-hips ratio
30% body fat (40.8 pounds)
70% lean body mass (95.2 pounds)

If I ever make it to there and it seems like I could go lower on body fat percentage, I can always reevaluate...

4 comments:

  1. Can you provide the source for the second chart? I'd like to read more about it. Thanks! Bill. Appreciate your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill! Here is the source for that second chart: http://www.bodyspex.com/community.aspx?articleID=3

      Delete
  2. These charts tend to be divided into groups according to age and sex. As you age, the body fat p.c. that you're going to be holding onto is going to rise proportionately. That is why it's necessary for you to take a look at one of these charts, as the perfect fat p.c.
    Thanks.
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete